christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
Chiropractic maybe I should look into that and see if my plan will cover. Does anybody work a full time job because I would like to work and make some money of my own and not rely on my trust fund so much?? Just wondering
I work more than a fulltime job - there are days that are 16 hours + for me. We actively parent a 17 year old and care for aging parents, have remodeled a house over the last two years and my work requires that I drive about 1000 miles per week. So, yes, I do think its possible to work a job and have fibro.

To me, my working is a must for my well-being. I have found that I need to find that delicate balance of too much/not enough activity. I can't imagine not working, and when someone tells me that I need to lower my stress level so my fibro doesn't flare as much, I tend to look at them as if they have three heads.

To me, I had to make a decision that I would not be the sum of my ailments. I think that when we have chronic illnesses, we have the choice in how we view it - I choose not to let it beat me, although, there are days when it does. I just had a conversation with my chiro yesterday about my progress in treatment and he expressed that he had not originally thought I would be this far along. I told him that I had to make the decision to get better - and I am.

I think that if you are able to work, it might be beneficial to the emotional side of being chronically ill. I know it gives me a sense of purpose. I can't lay in bed when I don't feel well - I don't have that choice. I have a company to run, employees depending on me to be here to lead them and my family depends on my income, not to mention that I have an addiction to lovely shoes!

If you are in the position, perhaps a good entry into the workforce would be to find a local cause and become a volunteer. That's less pressure to me than working a job; although your obligation to show up is the same.

Best,
Christie
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post: