apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Ok, I'm going to sound like a freak, but eh...

When I was 15, our house burned down. So, now I'm kind of afraid to leave stuff just cooking in my house while I'm not there. Are crock pots safe? What if you don't put enough water/liquid in? Will it get too hot and catch the house on fire? Do they shut themselves off if they get too hot or something?

I mean, I would hate it if a pot roast burned my house down.

Do I Need To Get Renter's Insurance Before I Get A Crock Pot?,
Dylan
crockpots are really safe--but i can understand the fear, *not* having lived through that experience. what i would do is use your pot during the day while you're around--tile counter, nothing around it and no dogs/animals can get to it--first be around to see just how hot it gets, the outside does get warm but usually the pot will have 'feet' on it so that no heat touches any surface, ever... plus, the way that pots cook, they don't 'dry' up or you'd have to leave it on for a couple of days before you'd get something 'burned', that's my guess anyway, i've never had a pot burn anything and i've left it alone at least 10 hours, probably more--the only time it ever *dried* more than i liked was once when i made beans/chili and i didn't add enough water, so the bottom was 'good' while the top/surface had a crust of hard/uncooked beans--but still, no danger or house fire. --you're not the only one with this concern so i had to speak to this.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post: