View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #17
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Ok, I'm going to sound like a freak, but eh...

When I was 15, our house burned down. So, now I'm kind of afraid to leave stuff just cooking in my house while I'm not there. Are crock pots safe? What if you don't put enough water/liquid in? Will it get too hot and catch the house on fire? Do they shut themselves off if they get too hot or something?

I mean, I would hate it if a pot roast burned my house down.

Do I Need To Get Renter's Insurance Before I Get A Crock Pot?,
Dylan
I'm kinda paranoid too. I never used to be, but I caught it off my sweetie (who never leaves *anything* going when he leaves the house, and in fact makes a point of unplugging the kettle every time we go out)

I still use my crock pot when I'm home, but when I'm not, I use my thermal cookers - they are like really big, really effective thermoses (what's the plural? I don't know) and still work on the slow cooking principle but they aren't plugged in, they just cook the food with retained heat, which is wonderfully environmentally friendly and energy effiicent.

I loved it so much I started a livejournal community about it. It's mostly deaded, but there's some good introductory info there if you're interested in the concept.

http://community.livejournal.com/thermal_cooking/
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post: