The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Ok. I need someone to explain something to me. The Charter of Rights says the following:

Quote:
Source: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/c...-ga:l_I-gb:s_2

Democratic Rights

Democratic rights of citizens
3. Every citizen of Canada has the right to vote in an election of members of the House of Commons or of a legislative assembly and to be qualified for membership therein.
But Elections Canada says...

Quote:
Source: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx...ec90540&lang=e

Canadian citizens temporarily residing outside Canada

Canadians who will be 18 years of age or older on polling day and are temporarily residing outside Canada may vote by special ballot in an election or referendum. They must have resided in Canada at any time before applying for registration, have been residing outside Canada for less than five consecutive years immediately before making the application and intend to resume residence in Canada.
The five-year limit does not apply to:
  • electors who are employed outside Canada in federal or provincial public administration or people living with them
  • electors who are employed outside Canada by an international organization of which Canada is a member and to which Canada contributes, or people living with them
  • electors living with members of the Canadian Forces outside Canada or with civilians who are teachers or members of the administrative support staff for a Canadian Forces school
So do I suddenly not become Canadian once the 5th year passes? I lose one of my basic fundamental rights as a Canadian?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote