The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

When I first got online (back in 1993/4) and learned about ways to delve into people's networks and such (kinda gray area stuff), I knew quickly that privacy didn't exist. It never does. In Canada, the expectation of keeping data safe is on the gov't and the businesses. In the US, it's more like a wild west feeling.

In both cases, it's up to an individual. I had long ago decided that the only thing that should appear on the Net are the things that someone could learn if they came up to me in person. Add to that my regular persistence at making sure that the computer I used to connect to the Net was secure and that my behaviour was limited to specific trusted sites and... it's all been good.

I've never had an identity compromise in all my time online. I have had fraudulent changes on credit cards due to taxi usage for work when they use the old fashioned credit card slips with the extra carbon in them.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: