View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

This is from the Arkansas.Gov website. It may help.

What is abuse?
Abuse can be physical or sexual. It includes non-accidental physical injury, shaking a baby, tying a child up, and giving or exposing a child to alcohol or other drugs. Reasonable and moderate discipline (such as spanking) is generally not considered abuse as long as it does not cause injury more serious than transient pain or minor temporary marks and is administered by a parent or guardian. Arkansas code 12-12-503

What is neglect?
Neglect is failing to provide for appropriate food, shelter, clothing, and medical care for a child. It is also failing to provide an education for a child: home schooling is NOT considered educational neglect. Neglect also includes failing to prevent abuse of a child. Leaving a child in a situation that puts the juvenile at risk of harm (such as leaving a young child alone at home or in a vehicle) is also considered neglect. Arkansas code 12-12-503

Do I have to report abuse or neglect?
If you are a mandated reporter, you are required to report suspected abuse or neglect. Mandated reporters are:

•Child care worker or foster care worker
•Coroner
•Day care center worker
•Dentist
•Dental Hygienist
•Domestic abuse advocate
•Domestic Violence shelter employee
•Domestic violence shelter volunteer
•Employee of DHHS
•Employee working under contract for DYS
•Foster Parent
•Judge
•Law Enforcement Official
•Licensed nurse
•Any medical personnel who may be engaged in admission, examination or treatment Mental Health Professional
•Osteopath
•Peace Officer
•Physician
•Prosecuting Attorney
•Resident intern
•School counselor
•School Official
•Social Worker
•Surgeon
•Teacher
•Court Appointed Special Advocate staff member or volunteer
•Juvenile intake or probation officer
•Child Advocacy Center Employee
•Clergyman

I’m a mandated reporter – why wouldn’t the hotline accept my call? The hotline can only accept a call if what the caller reports meets the legal definitions of child abuse or neglect and if the child or family can be located.

What information will the hotline operator need? In order to accept the call, the hotline operator needs to know

•What happened
•Enough information to locate the child.
It is very helpful to also provide:

•The name and age of the child
•The caregiver’s name and address
•The county where the incident occurred or the child resides
•How the person calling knows the family
•Whether the child has injuries
•When the child was last seen and by whom
Having the following information can make the investigation go faster:

•Names of others in the home
•Where the child is located now
•Whether there are safety concerns in the home (alcohol/drugs, weapons, etc.)
•Who else knows or was told of the situation
•Whether there has been a report made to the local police

I snipped and clipped. Not sure if you looked at this already. Good luck!
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: