Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
Hey Leaping Lesbians!
There's some very interesting things happening on an organizational level... have a look--

Full press release: http://sashatgoldberg.wordpress.com/...ation-is-born/
(my snip)
"During its inaugural 2009 Conference in Oakland ButchVoices claimed it wanted to include all butch voices. However, a group of Steering Committee feminists left during the ’09 planning. Internal tension mounted again in 2010 when Cordova insisted upon inserting the words “feminist” and “lesbian” into the official Call-for-Submissions to the upcoming regional conferences. Although invited to serve on the Board as ButchVoice’s “sage elder”, Cordova’s value rapidly decreased when she disagreed with the Board, who proceeded to schedule their retreat during Cordova’s surgery.

Differences culminated when the Board Retreat met, without Cordova, and changed ButchVoice’s mission statement, shifting the original language of “butch women and trans folk” to “masculine of center people.” Cordova and Goldberg argued—unsuccessfully—for equal footing being given to “butch women and masculine of center people.” ButchVoice’s current mission statement says, “BUTCH Voices is a grassroots organization dedicated to all self-identified Masculine of Center people and our Allies.” (end of my snip)

What do you think about this?

IMO, it is just another concerted masculine effort to negate women and lesbians from the Butch agenda. It's a pet peeve of mine.

So these days, I identify simply as a lesbian just to take back the power of my womanness - something of which I am very proud. I fought too long and too hard to let a "masculine of any part" think they can tell me who I am or who I have to be.

I don't even understand what "masculine of center people" is supposed to mean. Who are the center people?

I am glad the ousted members will continue to build a womans butch community under the name Butch Nation. I like it. And thanks for the link. I have been looking for something like this.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: