View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I've recently added running to my exercise routine.

I've never particularly enjoyed it and I've not run consistently since I was a teenager and training for sports teams.

I'm currently in week 5 of the C25k programme, but I'll be running week 4 again because I had a miserable time of it last week. Week 4 heralds in the 5minute intervals and I struggled through every single one of them.

I started C25k because I was growing bored with speed walking and I knew I needed to up my aerobic activity to continue to lose weight. I also needed an aerobic activity that required very little money. My house is on a bike path that stretches for miles in either direction, so I bought a decent pair of running shoes and started.

I'm not focused on running a 5k, it would be a great "side effect", but its not my goal.

My goal is to be able to run for 30-45minutes comfortably so that I can feel fit and that I'm doing my best to take care of my heart, so that I can lose/maintain weight, and so I have an aerobic activity that I can do anywhere.

It has been really challenging. And right now I'm feeling very impatient with myself. I want it to hurt less and be easier, and now please.

I had a few runs, two weeks back, when I had that rush of endorphins afterwards and I felt like a million dollars. I'd quite like that feeling again. And I'd love to get to a point where that is how I feel after every run.

Two things I'm currently struggling with and would love to hear other people's experiences of:

Finding a comfortable pace as the running intervals become longer
and breath control, I'm still having a hard time maintaining a good breathing rhythm.
Always love your posts! Thanks for sharing your experiences here, Sparkle.

I gotta tell you... I don't have working knowledge of what I am/am not doing right now. I'm just doing it. I will say, though, that I start my little jog at what I would call a snail's pace because I know me and if I start out any faster it will hurt and I will quit.

My wife told me that as she looks around at others, I'm going at their pace or better. I find that hard to believe because I feel like I'm just shuffling along, but I may very well be unaware of exactly how strong my pace is. *shrug*

My breathing feels good, which really is the most shocking part of all for me. And I wish I could tell you what I'm doing, but I really don't know; I just started this, and I gave myself permission to go slow so that I could keep moving at a pace other than a walk for longer and longer periods of time.

Sometimes I'm afraid if I think too much about it, I'll mess myself up. I'm pretty sure I'll get to a point where I want to do better and have more knowledge of what's really going on; until then, I'm freakin' stoked that I haven't quit yet!!

I like your thoughts about having an activity you can do anywhere. I never thought about it that way before.

Kelt, in the weight loss thread, shared this article with me. It's exactly what I needed to reinforce my decision to go this route.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0825105018.htm