How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Like most people, I've never much cared for jogging or running.

Four months ago, I started using Weight Watchers online and eventually started adding a little exercise to the mix......weights and cardio in the form of stationary bike, stairs, and hills.

I avoided jogging because......well.......because I don't like it.

The weight loss has been promising as well as losing inches around my belly. Truthfully, the belly fat has been my issue. I finally accepted that the only way to rid myself of the last few pounds and inches is to start jogging.

Just last week, on September 1, I started a walk/jog program. I have surprised myself each day at how much of my time has been spent on jogging. I assume that the time I spent running stairs and hills got me in a little better shape than I realized.

So I have to admit that it hasn't been miserable and that I do feel inclined to continue down this path. I'd like to call myself a "jogger" one day, but I know I have to earn those stripes.

For now, I am eternally gratefully that I'm doing this, that nothing is hurting, and that I feel more and more confident each day. Today, for example, one of my "jog sessions" was 10-minutes long!! I jogged 10 consecutive minutes. (I did a total of 28 minutes today; my best was 30:30.)

My walk time between jogging sessions is 3 minutes, and I'm averaging 8 minutes of jogging per jog session. I fully expected to start with jog 1 and walk 4 for about 30 minutes, so you can probably see why I have surprised myself.

Any others here on the Planet who jog or run? How long have you been doing it? What is your workout like?
Hey Thinker good for you!!! I run all the time. Believe it or not you will become addicted. Not in a bad way, just that a day will come when you find yourself longing to run if you don't get to. Or you will be driving down a road thinking, hey this would be a great road to run on. I played basketball , softball. We would always have to run a mile before basketball practice, I would always be the fastest runner on my team. But I never enjoyed running, although I was always real fast, as far as distance running . I didn't like running it seemed painful and boring. But then I joined the Marine Corps and well you run ALOT in the Marine Corps. Not just running with sneakers on either. Running in full combat gear, with boots a pack and a rifle. Hills and sand and mud . So running with sneakers on a paved surface seemed real easy to me after that. HAHA Anyway I run to stay in shape. I know if it's too cold I dread it, so I don't run in the winter. But I run about 2-5 miles tues-sat. and sometimes on Sunday depends on how I feel. I run early in the am before the sun comes up. I'm not running for speed just pleasure. It's how I meditate. I get alot of thinking done then. But the reason I wrote this is to tell you, running is mind over matter. I have helped hundreds of people lose weight and get into shape. Most of them like you never ran before ever. Housewives and teens all age ranges and body types. Running is more in the mind than the body. If you can walk 5 miles you can run 5 miles. I mean run without stopping. If you can walk 2 miles you can run 2 miles with out stopping. It's all in your mind. You have the ability , you just don't think you can or should whatever the reason. In fact most people can run a marathon right now if they wanted to, they just don't think they can. I mean physically they could do it with no adverse effects like stroke , heart attach , slipped discs, etc... Sore muscles yes , pain yes , but they could if they pushed themselves. They just talk themselves out of it. They let their body tell their mind what to do. It should be the other way around. Let your mind tell your body .Talk to yourself, seriously, it works wonders and it will change the way you operate when you run. Say things like, don't stop, don't quit, so what if it hurts, it should hurt. Tell yourself,you're out of shape because you've taken the easy way out for so long. Tell yourself motivating things. Like I'm going to run 2 miles without stopping no matter what. No walking allowed. No whimps allowed. Yesterday I was soft and I've been soft for too long ,no more taking it easy on myself. When you run the 2 miles without stopping and you cross the finish line, don't stop and bend over gasping for air, instead, sprint as fast as you can for as long as you can, then stop running. Then tell yourself, I did that just in case you thought 2 miles was too much for you, in case you thought you were tired , I wanted to show you , you weren't tired, you're just faking it. You are sort of your own personal hard core trainer. Try it, let me know how it works out for you.