Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
Sounds like you are immigrating under the skilled worker class. I hear that is the most difficult way to do it. I'm sorry things are so hard for you . It sounds horrible. I was lucky in a way because Andrea supported me for the two years I wasn't allowed to work while waiting for permanent residency. It was still a very difficult time but it was pretty much a sure thing I would be allowed to immigrate doing it family class with Andrea sponsoring me. We just had to wait. And while waiting I couldn't work. It's a bit of pressure for a relationship. Anyway you look at it, immigrating is not for the feint of heart. It is stressful for any relationship. We are both more than glad it is over. All in all I waited three years to get citizenship. You have be living in Canada for three years to apply. Anyway best of luck to you. It's not easy. But I hope it at least gets easier for you.

Yes it will get easier I am sure, even the person at the Immigration and Cultural center was at a loss. She advised me to mail in my work permit package to Buffalo and wait for a response like everyone else does, my intuition did not trust that and I went to the border and got it. I took a chance, I could have been turned away and made to wait in the States until it came in. I did not have months to wait for a response telling me I needed more paperwork, I went and plead my case at the border and even that took some convincing. Meanwhile every college exchange student walked in and got one taking about 30 seconds to complete, I am in health care and want to help sickly people, and that did not persuade them one bit.

Yes I am a skilled worker on a temporary permit. This was supposed to be the easiest route, permanent permit being the hardest. They denied my boss's request to hire me twice, once because upon thier urging she posted an ad in the paper, they did not tell her it had to also be on the online website for immigration, and it was denied because of that. Each time starting over at square one. Each denial took 3 months to come back with a response, and yes not working during all that time was both heavenly and scary.

The positive opinion and the work permit are two separate fiascos. Other than working or marrying someone from Canada, not sure how you do it unless you are among the filthy rich.

Nope it's not for the timid, that's for sure.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: