View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuirkyKiwi View Post
Foxy, no worries about your “ignorance”, you haven’t shown any, lol! I’ve had to make this post a lot more concise that what I’d originally written, lol!

I have mentioned my Spina Bifida a couples of times in passing in posts – it’s not something I talk about; not because I’m ashamed of having it, I’m not! As you are aware there is a certain “stigma” attached to it, sadly. I have a complicated form of Spina Bifida Occulta.

My Tai Chi practice is a slower and more deliberate movement to help keep my Spine (and the rest of me) gently moving without over stressing my body – I’m much slower at doing things when my back is in spasm, and with some movement being very restricted until the spasm ceases. I use my Qi energy to infuse a positive energy and suppleness into my Spine and my abdominal organs, for better digestion and some pain relief, etc.

I’ve had to adapt my Tai Chi practice to allow for my use of crutches and my leg paralysis and tremours, as some of the Qatar are not possible with them – this has lead me to using “props”. My crutches can (and do) get in the way, but, are just to hold me up, so I don’t collapse into a heap on the floor, lol! I’m neither elegant nor graceful on my decent! LOL!

Iyengar Yoga is my main stretching exercise when I’m not in spasm – it’s excellent for Spina Bifida suffers and does help with pain relief to a point. It helps to keep my Spine in alignment and gently stretch and exercise my muscles and joints.

Throughout the day, I’ll use some Tai Chi Qatar to help ease pain with the gently movements – the same with some Yoga Asana when not in spasm.

Can I ask; was your recovery faster with Yoga nd Tai Chi? I understand if you would prefer to PM instead of answering here more publicly.

Einstein was right! This Kiwi is forever getting her beak into curiosity, lol!
100x thank you for responding. I was not sure if I had overstepped my bounds. And I will answer you in the forum instead of PM because I think it is valuable to talk about openly and honestly.

I did not use either to heal myself. I was a very young woman with an 11 month old and a new born. I had to fight just to see a physical therapist. It was not until 15 years ago I found yoga and only 10 years ago I found Tai Chi. The biggest help for me was journey work, using the drums/rattles/didj to retrain my brain. I did specific journeys to 'visualize' both sides of my brain working together and to retrace what had been burnt out. I have made great progress, but I have been very discouraged in the last six to eight months. I am finding that my brain is back tracking somewhat and I don't know what to do. The medical profession has been fairly unhelpful. It has alarmed me, but not made me give up. If you just saw me you would never know I had a stroke. If you spoke to me briefly you would never know. If you meet me on a bad day, when I cannot get the thoughts out of my head and onto my tongue... you would wonder what the hell was wrong with me.

Iyengar yoga would be great for you, providing you are not in spasms. That I can fully understand. Yin practice is underrated. I find the meditative quality of yoga along with the breath to be one of the best places for me to go inside and be quiet. And to be present. Yoga/breath has given me the tools necessary for me to be present. I love that.

I have a hard time with sitting still meditation, but for different reasons than you. I have journeyed for so many years that I find the quietness to be opposite of what shamanic practice is. However, I have also found a high percentage of shamanic practitioners to also be bhuddist practioners. A point I have always found interesting.

Thank you again for being kind to me and my ignorance. You made me smile.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post: