View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
BBW. Unique femininity that does not encompass the western paradigm.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:
Single, Happy, not Desparate or Looking, but Open to Possibilities...

Thanked 6,035 Times in 1,617 Posts
1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

For the Maori, the Tangihanga (Funeral Rite) may take two or three days. The deceased lies in state, usually in an open coffin with female relatives sitting around them. Visitors come during the day, sometimes from many miles to address the deceased. They may speak frankly of his or her faults as well as virtues, but singing and joking are also appropriate. Free expression of grief by both men and women is encouraged. Traditional beliefs may be invoked depending on the tribe, and the deceased is told to return to the ancestral homeland, Hawaiki, by way of the spirits' journey. The close kin ("dead skin") may not speak. On the last night, the night of ending, the mourners hold a vigil and at sunrise the coffin is closed, before a church or Marae funeral service.

My funeral arrangements are already in place and mostly paid for (should I die whilst living overseas money is available for my body to be flown home) – further instructions are held with my Will. I will be buried on the Marae along with my Daughter and other family members.

For nearly 20 years I’ve worked in the Mortuary Sciences, many as a Mentor for students, teaching them the various Embalming methods/practices of many cultures. I don’t fear death – I’d hope that when my time comes, my colleagues would be laughing and joking knowing that, that is how they often knew me. I’m the least morbid person many people know, lol!

1QuirkyKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post: