View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

“A woman’s body is considered to be the repository of family honour.

“Honour crimes are acts of violence committed by male family members against female family members who are held to have brought dishonour onto the family.’’

How? By exhibiting themselves in unacceptable ways, by going where they don’t belong, by asserting a whiff of independence, by getting raped, by asking for a divorce — all moral crimes that require expunging, sometimes to the extreme of death.

“Cleansing one’s honour of shame is typically handled by the shedding of blood. It’s really about men’s need to control women’s sexuality and freedom.’’

So very troubling. The article's closing summed my feelings up perfectly.

I work with a large group of Saudi scholars and have (over time) developed honest and respectful relationships with each one of them. There are days when I "push the envelope" a bit with some of the men by asking some very direct questions. I have to run and get some study time in for an exam tomorrow, but I'll be back to discuss this issue more tomorrow. It is near and dear to my heart.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post: