Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,618 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
Hi folks,

Are there any other Catholics out there? Of course there are issues of patriarchy and heterosexism in the Church itself, but what parts, if any, of Catholicism have you kept in your life and daily faith?

/snip

So here I am, trying to take the lessons of social justice, God's love and a devotion to Our Mother with me as I limp through faith... what's your story?

<3
I am a former Catholic for many reasons, some of which you alluded to. After my confirmation I consciously chose not to be a part of the Church or any organized religion. Of course, I attend the major sacraments when they are meaningful to those I love: christenings, weddings, last rites and funerals . But it has been at least 21years since my last confession.

However there are many good things I took from my religious education and participation in the Church.

While I no longer identify as a Christian, I believe that the teachings of Christ are wonderful parables for how we should *be* ... kind of a "good practice" guide to being a decent human being.

I credit the Church with inspiring in me my feminism at a very early age. I was outraged (at the age of 5) to discover I could never become an altar boy or a priest simply because I was a girl; and I spent the next decade wearying poor old Father Barker with "but why?".

Similarly, I give the Church credit for first fostering my critical thinking skills.

And I believe that having the courage of my convictions, (the strength to live each day in big and small ways according to what I believe to be good and true and right), is a result of my time in the Catholic Church.

Saint Joan was my hero and my role model and the religious figure I revered the most as a child.

I also recognise that for many people the Church provides solace and a sense of community, and I think those are wonderful and necessary things to have in your life, where ever you may find them.

And when I think of my time in the Church it is inextricably linked to my Grandmother. She found great solace there: in her understanding of God, in the rituals and in the community. And I would say 1000 rosaries for the opportunity to sit next to her through Mass just one more time.

I wish you all the best, genghisfawn, in finding a place to express your faith.