Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Tiger View Post
Ok, FOR REAL?? REALLY?? Seriously, REALLY??

Now to the thread itselgf - once again, this is why I appreciate you Medusa because you force me to exercise the matter that is allegedly under my skull! I have had odd experiences in the tech world moving from black female to black male on the QA/QC side of the technology fence.

The first category falls under performing as female and operating at that same level as male as a tester (not lead or manager).
As a Female - It seemed that the level of expectation and even demand was higher as female - more like of course you achieve. That's to be expected. However, you still need to work twice as hard to be considered equal.
As male - it seemed more like people were amazed that I came to work on time. The level of expectation as male was lowered. So in some instances it was easier to shine and in other instances it was impossible to even get a shot at taking on a more challenging project because it was assumed I could not operate at that level. Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense.
The other category falls under experiences during interviews for a QA Manager position as black female vs. black male.
I have to put color in there because I go back to the level of expectation. The interviews were easier as female. Easy not in difficulty of question but being able to discuss background, opinion. The employer's questions were about determining if I would fit into their department/organization. It was more about getting to know me. The flow was there. I felt I truly was being questioned as a potential candidate. However, after transitioning the questions were from one of suspicion; like they didn't believe I could really have the credentials and experience I have. So the questions have at times been more of trying to catch me in a lie. I actually had a person look at a sample of the work I provided (test plan and automation scripts because I always bring them to an interview) and ask if I actually wrote the documents myself. What?! that was my reaction internally.
I've tried to explain the above to others but haven't communicated clear enough.

Where I can say I have seen clear sexism is in pay. Unfortunately I have experienced better pay as a man than I did doing the same job as a woman. That bothers me too!

Thanks again for the thread.
Gentle Tiger
Thanks for giving such a great example, Tiger! (and so so SO happy to see you around!)

This is, indeed, an interesting perspective. I had never thought about how the interview process might be different for males v. females except for wondering if males get asked about their "communication style" (which I always read as "are you a good bitch or a bad bitch?")

Do you think that when being interviewed as a male and they question your work as your own that it might be because plagiarism or "resume padding" happens more with males or is it maybe that whole "women are more honest" thing? Did you ever get a vibe for that?

Great thoughts here for sure, Im pondering more now!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote