How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,618 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Do you all remember when the Dixie Chicks dared criticized then President Bush and they were called UN-American? And to add insult to injury, they were right in their criticism. Then that entire campaign against them, their songs not being played on the radio, etc?

Below is just the latest example of the foul and disgusting stuff being thrown at President Obama. There are many more, perhaps a new thread is in order.

My question is, why aren't the same people, or heck anyone, calling them UN-Americans?
I was thinking about what you said here. It is true most of the foul disgusting stuff being thrown period comes from the conservative camp. I was also thinking about the death of Breitbart and the things I wanted to say about him but didn't. And then I thought about the vile and disgusting ways many on the right treat the deaths of those they don't agree with or dislike, even going so far as to picket their funerals. Then I came across this article on the Daily Kos:

My condolences to Andrew Breitbart's family on the news of his unexpected and untimely death this morning. He devoted his life to making that of others a living hell, so I think he would expect some of the incredibly vile things being said about his death.

That being said, I won't participate in the little schadenfreude fest, as I don't like speaking ill of the deceased. Remember how you felt when conservatives rejoiced over the death of Ted Kennedy...although Breitbart was nowhere in the same universe as Ted Kennedy, he was still a pretty big icon to conservatives. Don't get even, get moral.

On virtually every count our views were 100% polar opposite, but that makes him my political opponent, and I don't wish harm or ill on my political opponents like he did his. I advise you to take a page out of Shirley Sherrod's book of class, a woman who had every right to hate Mr. Breitbart.

I will say that I wish he'd had a chance to calm down and learn to live life less angrily than he did, but he made his choices and died seemingly doing what he loved the most: arguing. He seemed to have had his demons that haunted him on a daily basis.

May you rest in the peace you couldn't make with yourself in life, Andrew.

And may the rest of us find the civility Breitbart couldn't.

Maybe it's just as simple as liberals and progressives are just kinder, more compassionate, morally superior people.

Hopefully nice guys won't finish last.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: