View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,309 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post

True anonymity vs. pseudonymity.

Here we use pseudonymous identities, however, many of us have met in person, or talk on the phone, or are friends on Facebook where our real names are used.

I would say that there aren't many that are truly anonymous, and I think that makes us have some level of accountability.

What a cool thread, lots of thoughts brewing here!

I think the options for degrees of anonymity on a social site are very attractive.

I'm on Facebook, and totally open there: Visitors know my name, my publications, my family; they can see my latest vacation photos, and updates on my work. My contacts are mostly in different literary communities, but they are also old friends, exes, acquaintances from jobs, and they're all over the country and in the U.K.

I feel safe revealing all that information because I don't disclose my home address, or my place of work. I guess someone could track me down if they really paid attention to details and put the pieces together to construct some hypotheses about where I am, but it wouldn't be easy.

Most of all, on Facebook, I never reveal how I'm feeling, especially when I'm feeling low or alone. I use it in a sort of promotional way, for my work, as do a lot of writers I know. It's a convention, in our communities, to do so. We keep each other updated on publishing opportunities, events, and so on. It's friendly, but impersonal. And it's useful in that way.

Here, it's not about my work. It's about my feelings. Most of all, if I need it, I can reach out and feel listened to. I can admit things that make me feel vulnerable, because the anonymity makes me feel safe enough to do so. There are people on this site who know me from the NYC gay and lesbian and butch-femme worlds, but mostly, I can be as visible or invisible as I like, via what I reveal about myself.

I really value that. And in my roundabout way, I'm responding to your point about anonymity, and accountability. For me, anonymity doesn't make me less accountable for what I say; in fact, it's just the opposite. I'm relieved to have a place where I can be totally honest about my feelings. My accountability in that regard is very high.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post: