View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
Lady_Di

How Do You Identify?:
Homo sapien

Thanked 1,486 Times in 315 Posts
Lady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST Reputation
Default Discretion is the better part of valor.

I made a conscious decision a long long time ago, to just be me here on the internet. And have met many here face to face, in real time. Found and lost love here, such is life. As for naming: I have always been a lady, even on my worst days and at the dash site, my name, 'Diane' was already taken. So I had to be a bit creative. I took what I have been known as since my SCA days, early 70's. Lady Di fits me, I used to say I was a Lady Di long before Lady Di hit the scene. Yes, I am older than most here. But I remember her as a very young lady. But I digress...

Before BF community, in other online communities I was Diane, plain and simple. Remembering being a moderator for several years, and being very conscious about just being true to my own self. For me, I got brave *or was that stupid.... according to my family, yes* about this and made a decision. To my own self be true. Truth is a precious thing. I choose to embrace something that was somehow foreign to me. My own name. Having always been called a nick name. Again, a conscious decision to embrace who and what I am. My real name, versus the nick name so many knew me as a child.

It is scary in this day and age to be so open. I keep much tight to my vest as they say, but I am very easy to find. But so is everyone, if they have half a brain. Secrets versus privacy, interesting subtle distinction. One in which whole volumes have been writ, and will be written. Oddly enough, my pen name is something few people know. I do that for several reasons, mostly in honor of my first really great university English teacher.

Anonymity certainly has its place. AA and Alanon have taught me much on that note. As always has been the case, discretion is the better part of valor. Restraint of tongue and pen as they say. I do know my tongue is positively raw from biting it so much.

As for online names and safety, security. It is important to always protect yourself and your family. Honor is real. And words will come back to bite you in the arse, it is a truism. Yes, I have other gaming names, as I am an avid gamer and dual boxing is just more fun. Like any true addict, one is not enough of anything. But gaming is very much separate from our community, lest I happen to be gaming with ya~

Yes. I will be in recovery from gaming again, and will give up my gaming personas. I had kicked my gaming habit for 6 months, so I know I can do it. I had restarted gaming again when I had my surgery. But when I am just here, or facebook, blogging in the several places I do blog, I am just simply me. Warts and all. Di.

Interestingly, there is a whole new industry that has popped up, to clean up people's online shinnangins. Some folks have a lot all over the net they would like to not be there. Foot in mouth disease is running rampant. People can be so very cruel when they think no one will know who is saying what. Between that and mob mentality... it is as true today as it ever were

"Don't say nothing you would not be proud to be on the front page of the NY Times"

thanks mom, you are a very wise woman

and in this day and age, are there really any secrets any more?

oh yeah, the book The Secret

not such a secret, The Magic of Believing was written a long long time ago. Nothing is really new under the sun. People will still be people. Mean and opinionated, cruel and capable of some of the most amazing things, good, bad and indifferent. Only thing that has changed is the speed, the technology with which we do it all.

anyhows, good topic/thread
love the sock puppet reference, lol... made me giggle

enough of my ramblings and circuitous logic,
Di
Lady_Di is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady_Di For This Useful Post: