Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write14u View Post

I think we say American because it's who we have been taught we are. Not because it's easy, per se. Again, i don't think it's arrogant or exclusive unless we're saying the rest of the Americans shouldn't call themselves that.

And I was sincere in asking what Central/South Americans call themselves because no, I've never been there. I have been to Canada.
I think it's cool they call themselves Americans as well, since it's true.

I'm not arguing that at all. I just think it's a bit harsh to call people from the U.S. arrogant for using what they've been taught for at least two centuries. And not meaning to be dismissive, but it's not going to change. Lord knows we are slow to change on anything. I think it's simply about being respectful of everyone else as Americans, too.
I agree I might have been strong in my wording, my appologies. I feel very passionately about this, having grown up in South America.

If I can get a few people to at least think about it and how arrogant it sounds for the US to always refer to ourselves as 'The Americans" then that is all I can ask for.

I understand that being sensitive to the other countries in the Americas is a new thing for many of us. We were taught in school that those countries are completely insignificant.

I hope you do get to travel to South and Central America sometime, I think you would so enjoy it and see more clearly what I am speaking of.