CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
White, middle class people are not the only people who get married.
My point, exactly. Trans people of all income levels get married. Very poor people get married. The benefits to them are many, and that seems to be the issue here. Why are lgbt people who don't believe we should be working on marriage equality in the habit of telling me that marriage is a privileged state precisely BECAUSE it brings financial benefits? If it's so privileged, why is it just as easy for a poor person to get married as a wealthy one? And, what's wrong with anyone accessing a state that brings some financial stability?

I don't have the energy to search through this thread to find Ender's post wherein he asserts that there's no real benefit to bi-national couples who want to marry. That pissed me right off, but I'm already so irritated that I decided not to answer. That's a flat out ridiculous assertion, and there are a few people on this site who would be breathing fire if they were to have read it because of how deeply their forced seperation hurts them. There are far too many lgbt binational couples who are kept apart by their inability to marry. Amongst my friends, the butch member of the binational couple in the direst circumstance due to marriage inequality is a low-income woman of colour. There, now. Does that mean you can care about marriage equality now?