View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
Hi, healthy people who want to lose no more than 20 pounds.

I have been reading all the BBW threads and those for large-bodied folks, and I feel enlightened by the concept of "healthy at any weight." I also feel sensitized to the cultural attitudes toward people not reflecting cultural ideals, and how those ideals are internalized by large people, or destructively embodied by medical professionals, co-workers, friends, family and others.

That said, I want to find and give support to people like me, who have been thin all their lives, and now, because of menopause, lifestyle changes, depression, medication or what have you, have lost control of their weight—but want to feel healthy again and regain the body they are more comfortable with and fits more with their sense of self.

So, this thread is for people who want to lose no more than 20 pounds, and who, like me, are new to the concepts of weight consciousness—but have some awareness of body issues, having been part of communities, like the butch-femme community, where large women are appreciated.

I think the body issues and weight-loss strategies for someone who has 20 pounds to lose and someone who has 100 pounds to lose might be very different. I have felt uncomfortable being honest about my dismay at being a size 8, then a 10, when I was a 6 till I was 53 (!), because I didn't want to diminutize the efforts of larger women who are losing weight, or to feel like my relatively small weight loss goal is not significant. I don't want to be told, the problem isn't the weight, it's that you're not comfortable with the weight. I agree that body comfort is a good thing, but I want my lithe, strong self back. This woman who can't breathe going upstairs and eats candy compulsively and frowns at her image is not me.

Mostly, I need a place to talk about this, and I think support enhances success, at least for me—so I'm hoping that's true for others, as well.

I'm sure a lot will come up that I have no idea how to respond to, but I'm also willing to bet people will join the thread who are more experienced in body issue and health matters, and can keep the dialogue going in a productive way.

Thanks to anyone who signs on and shares the following (I will answer myself, tonight):

1) What was your ideal weight and size?

2) What is is now?

3) Why do you think you gained weight, when it's never been a problem before?

2) How do you plan to regain your health and your comfort level with your body?

3) Anything else that is relevant.

Hugs!
IslandScout
I can't believe I missed this thread! Thanks IslandScout.
Lately, I've been so unmotivated...so I'm trying to get back into the zone.

My ideal weight is around 115lbs. Though, I go more by the size of my clothing, and use a tape measure to gauge my fat-loss/gain.
I tend to feel the most comfortable at a size 7.

Now, I am at 125lbs. and at a size 8.

Honestly, it's been a while since I have felt motivated to really be on top of my diet. I always work out (out of daily habit), and you'd think that this would be enough of a motivating factor, yet it hasn't been.
Another part of it is, I'm under quite a lot of stress right now, which as most people can attest, can make self-care go right out the window, as we prioritize other people and other things before ourselves.

Well, I plan on watching my diet much closer. I already know how, what, and when, I should be eating...it's just a question of doing it religiously once again.
It's getting back into the swing of things which can be difficult...especially when your mind is elsewhere, stressed or focused on your work.

The good thing is, is that there is so many great threads here, that inspire me. And so much *out there* that can also serve as major motivation for your weight-loss goals. I'm just trying to stay focused on what I'd like to achieve, and also focusing on staying inspired everyday. This seems to really help.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote