Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post
I was recently watching the HBO documentary "The Weight of a Nation." In it, health experts discussed a variety of concerns, one of them being the amount of sugar we drink.

Now, I know that I love my first thing in the morning caffeine fix but I do not drink coffee. So, I choose Diet Dr. Pepper instead.

However, after watching this, I realized that I need to cut out a huge amount of the sugar I drink (mmmm, cran-grape juice) but wondered about other options. Options like: diet soft drinks, tea sweetened with Splenda and Crystal Light pour ins for water.

I know I need to drink more and more water and hope to get there one day but during the transition, what are my best options? I know we have some fitness peeps out there, so come help please?

Wonderful goal.....sugar is deadly stuff.

Unfortunately, for me, I've found that the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas make me crave sweets more, not less. Others in the HWL thread have found them to be a huge help....so it's probably a personal body chemistry thing.

I drink a lot of water, black coffee, a little 1% milk, and a whole lot of home brewed iced tea sweetened with agave nectar. Agave is low-glycemic, which means it doesn't spike your blood sugar like sugar, honey, fruit juice, etc. do.

The other good option for me is stevia....a naturally calorie free plant that is very sweet but also doesn't spike the blood sugar.

One of the things I used as I transitioned out of my soda addiction (diet sodas....I'm diabetic), was the Sobe Life Waters. They come in a variety of yummy flavors. Be aware though that only some are zero calorie and sweetened with stevia.....the others are no different from grabbing a soda.

Good luck!