Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Goodness, this is a lot...

pinkgeek..." illusions of perfection," what an interesting phrase...trying to be...what we think we should be or what is expected...and what happens if we don't make it....

"Re: Death of a Salesman - I can't help but think of Eugene O'Neil and Long Day's Journey into Night (written close to the same time period I believe). The Tyrones are another family suffering under the disillusionment and imperfections of life.

In my experience the value in these tragic plays is that they do mimic real life. If anyone could "just stop" or "just don't" etc. etc. there would be less poverty, disease, abuse etc, but that isn't how humans are wired. Perfect logic is interrupted by dreams, lust, greed, fear, shame and thus often imperfect choices are all that can be seen and certainly what is chosen.

If the only stories we told in theatre and books were stories of Happily.Ever.After where all the characters made all the logical choices it would not be art reflecting life - it would be art reflecting an illusions of perfection. (I'm sure the right wing would just love this concept!)

Your mileage may vary."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
cinnamongrrl563 - I think... :-) that people get fundamentalist about all sorts of things...and it's that pointing out a speck in someone else's eye with a freakin log sticking out of your own...

"I dont get....vegetarians who berate NON vegetarians for eating meat..to the point of leaving a dinner party because of the bad mojo at being around meat eaters..and yet they have down comforters and leather shoes...do they really think that the animals VOLUNTEERED these things for their use?? And just by the by....i am mostly vegetarian...and will attempt at being vegan soonly...but i refuse to be a nazi about it....I just cant stand hypocritical better than thou types....irks me to no end..."
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post: