View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Yes, I think so. I think we expect things to go better than they do because people tend to put their best foot forward, yanno? And of course online there is that chance to hit the delete key and rethink what we might have said, so that people often get our more considered answers when in face-to-face interactions we just blurt out that first thing we started to say, and have NO delete key. So we think we are getting into relationships with a person who always acts at their very best.

One of the things I learned over the years though is that no one can sustain that best-foot-forward behavior for more than about six months, and quite often not for more than three or four months. How the person acts in month seven is a much more accurate picture of what life with them might be like.

I suspect that having Skype or a program like it might speed that timeframe up considerably, and might also eliminate that wet bias.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post: