View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

This isn't really creepy, but it still gives me chills to think back on.

:::Buffalo, New York: sometime in the early 90's: I was 17 years old:::

My very first car was a beat to hell 1982 Nissan Sentra that I bought from a co-worker for $700. It looked like someone had opened-fire on the driver's side door, it had rust from front to back, and the engine looked like someone had thrown a lit match under the hood and walked away.

BUT!!! It ran!! The first winter I owned it I quickly realized that Bertha (the name I gave her) did NOT like the cold. The carburetor would freeze any time the temperature dipped under 30 degrees, and I'd have to drag a hair dryer out to the garage and warm it up before she'd start. The biggest problem was the door locks would freeze open and so once I got inside I would have to bungee-cord the drivers side door (across my lap) to the passenger door. I hope that makes sense! Otherwise the doors would be flying open at random.

Anywho, on this particular day I was driving to work on the 400 and I started to make a right onto a frontage road when I hit a patch of black ice. Bertha began making a fierce left turn while I pumped the brakes and took my hands off the wheel (all the things you're supposed to do). All of the sudden the bungee cord snaps and I am literally falling out of the drivers' side door. I remember feeling like I was on a roller coaster, my belly flopping around while the rest of my body felt weightless. Just as I see the road below me, I was flung back inside my car into an upright position with what felt like an arm pinning me to the seat as Bertha slowed to a halt in the middle of the road (facing the wrong way, but heck, I was alive and not in the ditch!)

I remember sitting there looking at cars whizzing by in front of me, and all of the sudden I had the urge to scream. At that moment something whispered in my ear, "ssshhhhhhhhhhh" and I immediately calmed down. AND, get this, when I started my car back up the doors closed and stayed closed. I never had to use a bungee cord again!

Something powerful saved my tush that day!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post: