Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Linus:

I agree with what you're saying in part, but I'm a little more pessimistic because of my experiences watching my countrymen believe, against all available evidence, that Saddam Hussein's Iraq was instrumentally involved in the 9/11 plot OR that Al Qaeda was in bed with that tyrant. The second, more risible claim, could be disproved with less than two hours of web research. All one would have to find out is that Al Qaeda is a Wahhabist sect of Sunni Islam and that Saddam Hussein was a secular pan-Arabist who cynically used religion but was not devout by any measure and that would put the lie to that. It would be like claiming that Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were the two biggest contributors to the ACLU or the American Humanist Society. Osama bin Laden would no more get in bed with Hussein as Falwell would with Richard Dawkins.

The first claim, about Iraq's involvement in 9/11 is partially debunked from knowing about the differences between Hussein and bin Laden and partially just by looking at the details that were known within a week of the attack.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure, given our current state, that it would *matter* if the information that a false-flag operation had taken place in the U.S. The kinds of people who are showing up at the Tea Party rallies aren't particularly likely and unless it came from some approved (read right-wing) information source they would continue to believe that it was done by the convenient perps even IF there were a YouTube video of Armey, Cheney, et. al. planning it. Low-information voters, gotta love 'em.

Cheers
Aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Ah.. they may have a bogeyman to blame but with the Interwebz being all over the place ('cuz Gore set it up that way, don't'cha know?), it'll be hard to maintain and will likely backfire.

Unlike the 1920s, it's a lot harder to hide who the true source of an attack or behaviour. (e.g., "Baby Killer" comment was recorded and the person apologized; given time someone would have recognized his voice easily).

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post: