Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,023 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
I, for one, dont have a problem with people speaking their minds, even if it does means listening to slurs. I would much rather know where people stand then to assume attitudes and beliefs have changed because it became politically incorrect to be honest about your feelings and beliefs.

And, I do attribute a lot of the slurs per se to scared people, lashing out much like a bully would. But, to respond to slurs just adds fuel to the fire.

In my 34 years of being out, I have never been a victim of a hate crime. I have had slurs said in my presence and I smile knowing from whence the ignorance comes from. I have no need to defend who I am, because I am not threatened by childish ignorance.

Not everyone is going to like us, nor do I like everyone. Prejudice is not something you can eradicate by legislation. God knows, watch a session of congressional debates - these have got to be the most bigoted, prejudicial, childish humans in the country.

As for a revolution, I doubt it will come from the middle-lower class. The folks most threatened are those on the cusp of the elite who are being squeezed out. The rest of us were never a threat.

I would appreciate if you all didnt jump all over me just because I dont tow the line in my beliefs.
So, is disagreeing with you jumping all over you? I hope not.

You do toe the line with your beliefs, actually, at least the beliefs of a lot of people in this country. There are a large number of people that bemoan political correctness, because hell, why should anyone have to communicate in a respectful way?

I do have a problem with slurs, because hate speech can incite violence and people get hurt. Sure, they have the freedom to say whatever they want, and we have the right to respond.

I'm confused by your post, because it seemed like you said slurs are ok because people are just speaking their minds, but responding to them is just adding fuel to the fire. People need to be responding and letting the racists and bigots know that they disagree. Sometimes silence is mistaken for agreement or support, and my opinion is that we've been silent for too long.

I agree that prejudice is not something you can eradicate by legislation, but the discrimination that comes from prejudice can be, which is why legislation is so important.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post: