GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
Playing around and having fun

Thanked 3,663 Times in 824 Posts
GraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST Reputation

I work overnights as a night auditor/manager in a large well-known hotel in downtown Minneapolis. One night when we were at full occupancy (of course) the fire alarms went off. When this happens all the elevators shut down. If you're on the 31st floor it sucks to have to take the stairs. Of course the phones start ringing off the hook. I'm trying to assess the situation and inform certain staff members of what needs to be done. Needless to say, I'm busy. I have one person manning the phones and I have had to leave the front desk unmanned. I jump on and help answer the phones when I get a moment.

Standard questions of people calling down:
Guest: "There are alarms going off."
Me: "Yes ma'am. We are aware of the situation."
Guest: "Well, do I have to leave my room?"
Me: "Yes ma'am. We are evacuating the hotel until we can determine if there is an actual fire or not."
Guest: "Why don't you know if there is a fire? I need to sleep. I'm not leaving. Can't you turn the alarms off?"
Me: "I'm sorry ma'am I do not have access or authorization to turn the alarms off. The fire department has to do that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but you do need to leave your room."
Guest: "But I have an early morning. I need sleep. Just turn them off."
Me: "Again, I am sorry ma'am but I am not able to do that. Please evacuate the building."
Guest: "Is everyone leaving? I'll have to wait forever for an elevator. I don't have time for this."
Me: "The elevators do not work during a fire emergency ma'am. You'll have to take the stairs." *cringing because I know it's coming - she's on the 31st floor.*
Guest: *yelling* "What do you mean I have to take the stairs??!! I'm the 31st f-ing floor! I am NOT walking down those stairs. Turn off the alarms NOW!"
Me: "Ma'am I explained to you already that I cannot turn the alarms off."
Guest: "What kind of customer service is this? I'm an Elite member! You need to do what I say. I want to talk to the manager."
Me: *looking at her reservation and seeing that her employer pays for her stays here* "I see that you are one of our elite members and we at the _______ Hotel thank your employer for utilizing us for their travel needs. I am the manager ma'am and I am sorry to say that I cannot turn the alarms off."
Guest: "I'm not leaving my room! This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced!"
Me: "My apologies ma'am that our fire emergency has disturbed your stay with us. I see the fire department is here and I must go meet with them. Have a good night." *click*

In the morning near the end of my shift a woman comes up to the desk to check out and is screaming for the manager. I go out to talk to her. It's her. She demanded that we pay for her entire stay (5 nights) and all of her incidentals (bar and restaurant charges) because we disturbed her sleep and refused to turn off the alarms when she explicitly told us to do so. I had a hard time not laughing at her. I told her we will not reimburse her any of the expenses for something that was not the hotel's fault and apologized to her for her restless night. She called me a bitch and a fag. I smiled at her and said "Thank you. I take that as a compliment." She then yelled some more and said she would never stay at our hotel again. I told her to have a nice day and a safe journey home.

The following Monday I'm working the front desk and guess who shows up to check in!? LOL She was trying hard to be polite to me. I put on my best smile and gave her a warm welcome back. She said she couldn't get any of the other hotels in the area to give her the corporate rate we give her. I told her "I know. ________ (company she works for) has a contract with us and not with any other hotel. If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to ask."
GraffitiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GraffitiBoi For This Useful Post: