Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #72
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_ View Post
There are two documentaries that I found remarkable:

The first was presented on the PBS show Nova and was entitled "Dimming The Sun". It described the effect of air clarity on global warming and, surprisingly, explained that some of our efforts to reduce air pollution have been counterproductive.
I haven't seen it, but I'm going to see if we can get it on the Roku via one of their services. It's interesting that you bring it up because I was talking with a group of people about where we were on 9/11. Both myself and a younger cousin (who was in kindergarten at the time) said that one of our strongest memories of that time was no planes. They had grounded planes worldwide and the atmosphere got so clear that it affected the average temperature that year. We both remember really blue skies and I remember going out to the observatory nearby with my telescope to take advantage of the incredibly clear skies that week.

Okay, in an effort to stay on topic.... I love Ken Burns but was disappointed in the Dust Bowl. I think he kinda phoned that one in. Jazz was much better! But the best one I've seen lately was the Machine that Made Us, which is about Johann Gutenberg. It was interesting to see what he went through. People were really freaked out by what he was doing and one of the biggest, scariest things about it was that parts of the ruling classes realized that more books, made cheaply would put more more information in the hands of the poorer classes. An educated populace was a scary thing!
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote