View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #105
Gryph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful girl

Gryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
I'm curious. What was evil about the book? It's a hard book. It's a disturbing book. But I thought that Goldhagen bent over backward to be fair, accurate and scholarly. I never got the feeling that he was writing an anti-German book rather was debunking a widely held myth: that the Holocaust was committed by SS men without the knowledge of the German populace.

Cheers
Aj

I've never read the book, but I spent some time in Germany as a soldier. I had several friends among the "Nationals" as we called the German citizens. I heard time and again from those who were alive in that day and age, just how scary it was and how you complied with Hitlers laws, because if you didn't you and your family would be the next ones to end up in a camp somewhere.

One of my favorite friends had been a nurse at that time and she felt so bad for so much of her life after the war ended, because of what she couldn't do to help those who were the camp she worked in.

Unfortunately I see the same mentality in those who are calling the names, as I saw in the Brown Shirts from the history movies.

"The three things that bring the most balance into my life, Will, Intent and Purpose. With out these there is no honor." - Storm Cloud Woman
Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gryph For This Useful Post: