View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Well, this was stupid of me because it could have killed me but I wasn't thinking of myself. When I was 18 I worked in automotive at a shop. While at work one day, a young man brought in a brand spanking new car for it's first oil change. He put it on a split rack, where the arms to lift the vehicle slide sideways under the car, he did that, and lifted it in the air. He was changing the break-in oil, first oil change for this car had less than 500 miles on it. While he was under the car and I was way across the shop, I heard a guy screaming HELP!! HELP!! I turned and scanned the shop, and saw the car falling off the rack nose diving front end first because the rack had slide out in front and inward in the back making a V formation under the car; and the kid was holding the car up trying to keep it from falling. I ran straight across the shop screaming at him to get out from under the car, let it go!! He kept holding it up and was fading fast. I actually full on tackled the kid an knocked him out of the way from under the car with all I could muster up in my strength and the power of physics in motion. The car fell right behind us as we landed on the floor up against the wall of the next stall over. The poor kid was so scared he literally was shaking in fear and shit his pants. He was sent home for the day needless to say. It took 2 cherry picker tow trucks to get the car off the rack. We had to close the doors to public but the Owner of the car saw it fall from inside the store and ran out yelling MY CAR! MY BRAND NEW CAR!! It was a woman and she was pissed to say the least. I had to go into the office with the kid and explain to management how it happened. He was fired that day. Me, I just freaked out that I was able to do something so unthinking I asked for hte rest of the day off. I got it. Nothing happened physically to us but a few cuts and scratches from sliding across the floor. Is this a true story I am telling you, YES it is. I worked for Sears automotive back then. They had to purchase a new car for the woman, and she never came back to Sears for any work, and I don't blame her. I am just lucky and must of had angels with me that day because we both could of been killed. I should have done something else, but wasn't thinking of anything but get that other kid out of the way from under that car, he was too scared to let go and none of the guys in the shop heard him until after I hit him with all my might in a forward tackle.That day, there was just too much going on in the shop for anyone to hear him with all the power tools going and machines running; but somehow I heard him that day, and I guess I am kinda glad I did, he might have died that day if the car had fallen on him. You know it's amazing what happens to human strength when faced in horrid situations. It's all the adrenalin going that makes for super human strength sometimes. You hear stories about it all the time here and there. But I've witnessed it first hand, that kid holding that car and he wasn't that big, kinda small after I think about him. It's something that's never left my mind ever. It's been here logged in my memory since I was 18 and I am now 49 turning 50 this year. I haven't really told this story much, because it still kinda haunts me.