Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvie View Post

i really, really feel i fail him, at doing what's right for him, or getting him help he needs.. (i do know HE needs to want help) - see my confusion?
I grew up with a step-father who's an alcoholic. Because of growing up in this type of environment, I've also partnered with alcoholics. It was safe. I already knew how the dynamics worked.

I started going to AA meetings when I was around 10 or 11 (yeah, my mother was so codependent that WE went to AA meetings FOR my step-father while he was out drinking). Then we went to Al-Anon meetings (after they came to our neck o' the woods). Occasionally, I will still attend meetings if something comes up.

You CANNOT "do what's right for him or get him help he needs". You just can't. It's enabling behavior to think you can. I'm not trying to sound harsh. I really hope you don't hear it that way. I'm trying to be honest with you. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to 'save' him. And even if your dad did quit drinking, he'd still continue certain behavior patterns unless he got help for the reasons he started drinking (aka dry-drunk).

I totally get wanting your dad to be more healthy and take care of himself. I totally get that. But the thing with alcoholics is that they can't take care of themselves...that's why they need all of the enablers...to get them alcohol, to listen to them, to force them to go to the hospital, etc. Alcoholics require a lot of attention (that's why you feel you've been doing this for so long, that's why there's the confusion you mention, etc). You can't save him, or change him, or make him quit drinking, or any other somesuch. Just because you're not buying his alcohol, doesn't mean you're not still enabling his alcoholic behavior.

Al-Anon can be very helpful for the reasons Wolfy and Andrea stated. You're not at all alone, and I'm sure we could trade stories of crazy behavior (behavior I thought was completely 'normal' for a really really long time...wellllllll into my thirties...even though I grew up in AA, Al-Anon, ACOA, etc). There's also some groups for ACOA, and some really good books. There's behaviors COA grow up with that they unwittingly perpetuate even if they don't drink.

I apologize that my post is kind of all over the place, and again, I really hope I don't sound too harsh. Your post brought up a lot of memories. Al-Anon will definitely let you know that you're not alone. And really, like Andrea said, try some different meetings if you're not comfortable with the first meeting.

Sorry Your Dad Is Not Doing So Well,
Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post: