View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #49
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Imagine telling a child that his or her behavior is creepy. What if you found your 4 year old child touching their genitalia and you told them that's creepy or demented. Whether his or her behavior is considered socially inappropriate, is it okay to belittle them? I don't think so. There have been a significant number of studies that show that punishment (e.g. denigration) fails to serve any positive outcomes. Conversely, punishment, and in this case humiliation, usually have negative outcomes.
Kannon, with all due respect, we're not referring to children or punishment here. I agree, if this were an open forum for those under the age of 21 to view, then this thread could potentially be called into question. As it is, this is not the case. We're all adults here and are here to express opinions. Granted, opinions are judgement but no one here has said that anyone specifically is wrong, bad or otherwise weird and creepy for having them. They have simply stated how they themselves see certain types of behaviors.

It takes a strong person to stand in their convictions. It takes a stronger person to do this with compassion and understanding. I know my first instinct, when in the minority on a topic, is to get defensive. The only reason I do get defensive is because I personalize something someone said. That's on me and not on them. Just because I don't agree and just because I have an opinion doesn't mean I think anything less of others who differ from me.

For me, it's all about respect...

Scoobs

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post: