Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]For those that don't know, I work for a hotel. This hotel has been here for almost 50 years, changing hands along the way a few times, and after all this time they still do not have the proper access for those on wheels or using canes and walkers. I mean, there have been some renovations done but the HA door to the lobby is.....well, not. Two entrances. One has a slight ramp leading into the back of our lobby area. This, the official HA door, is usually locked.

I know.

Sometimes during the day, it's open but it's always locked after dark. The other entrance has a fairly heavy door and there's no automatic door button for that one. I've suggested it; asked for it...but all the owners see (past and present) is the bottom line. What they don't see is a potential lawsuit and how much that would cost in the end not to mention that I just feel damn BAD when I see someone struggling with it. I get upset and annoyed FOR the guest because it should BE there already for them to use.

Honestly, I am genuinely surprised that we've passed inspections with a major brand with the layout like this. It really makes me wonder.[/COLOR]

Probably some kind of loophole having to do with when the original structure was built. Also, some goofy way of getting around the HC codes with what is existing. And you are so right with the bottom line! Most likely, people that need these accommodations just go to other hotels that suit their needs better and never make any reports/complaints. Also, my guess is that there are no differently baled employees or maybe ones that do not have mobility issues like some folks do.. the degree factor. No doubt, renovations for existing structure to make them accessible is expensive, but with some direct advertising to disability organizations, a pretty lucrative population can begin using that hotel! Every differently baled person I know always checks this out prior to travel. When I ask my friend with CP to do something with me, I find out about access of the place where an event etc. is being held before asking her. Now, I know a lot of places that she can either go to or not. My disabilities are not the same as hers, so I don't assume she can go to a certain location. Its all about awareness and sensitivity.

Something that has occurred to me too, is that many business owners, etc. assume that there are so few differently baled people that doing the HC renovations isn't worth it. But, this is really problematic as the reason that so many differently baled people become more home-bound or don't travel has to do with lack of access to begin with. I think businesses owners are missing out on a good stream of patrons with this thinking as well as just not giving a flying hooray.

Here, I have really been impressed with organizations like the B-F Socials taking access into consideration when they plan events and rent facilities. This is a more urban setting with good public transportation (with access) and an area that is politically conscious about such things. I know not everywhere is like this.

I am trying to design a ramp for my front porch entrance at my home so my friend can just zoom her chair into the house. She can get here via para-transit with her chair/scooter, but had to use her canes to get in the house. I bought my house knowing that future changes would have to be made for myself. Needed a one story, close to rapid transit and services. I knew that the work would be more expensive depending on some things like slope and number of stairs. So, I kept these things in mind when looking at houses. I know that when I need to remodel my kitchen and bath, I will have cabinets installed that are easier for me to reach and a shower without a tub to climb into. Actually, as someone mentioned, we are all just a breath away from becoming differently baled and we are going to age which can bring on some mobility issues. My late partner developed Parkinson’s and this was also part of the equation in buying my home as eventually, things would have to be renovated so that she could have easier access.

Nutty things happen. When my rheumatologist was moved to a new building within the medical center she is part of it was in a building on a hill in SF!!! There is a very unreliable cart service that patients have to include up to an extra hour or more for their visits in order to get a ride up the damn hill! My doc was incensed, but they also moved the cardiac )including heart transplant patients) docs there too! It is insane and in a medical group attached to a major teaching hospital!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote