theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,884 Times in 2,481 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
*low whistle......say at 100% you might also be eligible for that specially adapted considerable housing grant.
That special adaptive housing grant is available to certain Veterans who need help purchasing or improving a handicap-accessible home. It either supplements the purchase of an already existing one or serves to pay for the necessary adaptions to a Veterans existing property. I think the maximum allowable grant is something like $64K, or such a matter. You need to make application for this grant through your local VA Prosthetics department. I don't think you have to be 100% service connected Disabled for this kind of help.

This past year, the VA installed safety "grab bars" in my bathroom, for the commode, and they would have done the shower, too, if I'd have asked them. I have a step-in shower, however, so that wasn't necessary right now. I have prosthetic knees, so the installation of the grab bar in the commode room really helps. All I had to do was ask and it was done!!!

Don't be shy about asking for this kind of help, Vets, because VA care is about helping us Veterans to have a safe, decent life. It is our *earned* benefit. Yes, some things might be only available to Vets with 100% ratings, or "unemployability" status, but it's been my observation that a lot of things go on a case-by-case basis, depending on the situation. Always ask!!! If you are unclear about who to ask, you can always contact a Veterans Benefits officer (1-800-827-1000, nationwide number) or get in contact with a Patient Advocate at your local VA.

Semper Fi,
~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post: