The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
<snip>

My hope is that with more people getting insurance we will see a reduction of people coming to the ER. In my experience working in a health care system (which includes two hospitals), people who don't have insurance or the ability to pay a copay to a PCP will utilize the ER when they have minor illnesses (viruses and such) because they have no other way to get treatment. Certainly the wait for them is annoying, but it can also be frustrating for people who are more ill but don't qualify for the "fast track" in our ERs. Hearing about people laying in hallways for hours who need care (to the point of getting admitted to the hospital), is disheartening. I was in that position when I had complications after surgery. The only reason I got into a room after an hour (or two?), in the hallway is that my neighbor came by who is an EMT and simply told the nurses he was putting me into a room. Great guy! I had a subsequent admission and additional surgery, but since I wasn't bleeding my guts out, I was one of those hallway people.

Anyway, I am excited about the ACA and the insurance that many will now have! It benefits ALL of us, even those that will not be using insurance. Hospitals/other physicians will also lose less money due to patients lack of ability to pay (the $5 a month example), so perhaps long term we will even see our premiums go down. You never know! Thanks, Obama!
Unfortunately, the part I highlighted wouldn't change. I don't think getting coverage, whether Obamacare, centralized health care or through an employer, will discourage people from using the ER. Interestingly, in Ontario that remains an issue and one that the gov't has been trying to find ways to help reduce (e.g., 24-hour 1-800 number with registered nurses, 24-hour clinics, etc.). I think it's a question of wanting to feel important and center of attention (the best I can describe it) since they get no support, love, etc. from family or community.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: