View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #78
Slowpurr

How Do You Identify?:
Stone femme
Relationship Status:

Slowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST ReputationSlowpurr Has the BEST Reputation
Default American Horror Story is the bomba or maybe I am easily entertained.

I could watch it for Jessica Lange's performance alone but fortunately that hasn't been asked of me quite yet. There just isn't anyone else in the shot(for me) when she is there. The first episode of Coven was no different. She grabs you by the throat and drags you along behind her. The crafting of this show is magnificent; they build layer by imperceptible layer as if flavoring a fine dish. From the story line and the actors to the filming and the sets, it all seems to unravel into a perfect fit.
The live in school for witches that we are introduced to when Taissa Farminga is whisked from her parents home after her boyfriend is killed in a black widow event which reveals her heritage as a witch, presents as a quirky version of The Facts of Life with Sarah Paulson as the house mother. We learn about each girl's special power which pales the ability to kill someone during coitus if that is even considered a power. It seems quite unfortunate for her and I am looking forward to where that will go. We are introduced to Madison Montgomery, a young, self -absorbed actress whose flip of her wrist sends a bus load of rohypnol loving, date raping frat boys to a fiery end. It all seems a bit like a show on the EW until the Supreme, mother to Sarah Paulson, shows up and takes the girls on a field trip to New Orleans. She tells the girls to wear 'something black'. I would give up my super power for the period outfit worn by Madison. The Supreme, Fiona Goode, wants to teach the girls about fighting oppression rather than hiding from it but I am sure we have not seen the last of Sarah Paulson, at least I hope not.

The back story, includes Kathy Bates and events that took place in the 1830's which seem to be tying into modern day, may prove to be very interesting and horrifying. I have not seen this week's show yet but I am sure it is even better than the first.

There was one thing that annoyed me. The voice over a frame of Gabourey Sidibe grabbing a turkey leg out of the fridge, telling us that some may already have lost the ability to trust or some nonsense. If fat people are not going to be allowed to be just people in a show then I would rather they be left out. In the words of the talented and funny comic Catherine Tate as Derek,' How very dare you?'.
Slowpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slowpurr For This Useful Post: