View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
SirenManda

How Do You Identify?:
I don’t want contact.

SirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

I've been thinking a lot about this one, and here's some thoughts on the differences between how I was raised and how we plan to help our children grow into well adjusted adults.

1. Feelings are normal, and you as an individual are allowed to feel how ever you want/do without being punished.
2. There is no wrong way to ask for help. Whatever either of us are doing will never be more important than helping our children when they want attention.
3. The "because I said so" will never be said. Your a person, and asking "why" should be explained in a manner you (at the appropriate age of understanding) will understand. We value children as people, and not second class citizens.
4. We believe children shouldn't be involved in financial problems or serious situations, as a child my mother would constantly remind me how much money we had and how much we owed to so and so. It made me feel guilty to ask for things, or expect anything beyond basic needs. As an adult I still struggle with getting things for myself beyond basic daily needs. I won't let our children carry that burden until they are ready.

Just a few key thoughts.