View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #1939
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,378 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Today was pretty amazing. It was incredibly cold for me (10°F) and one of the challenges is learning to dress right for it. It was brilliantly sunny and I really couldn't justify going to the gym. If I was going to go out and drive in this stuff I was bound and determined to get to the river.

A couple of days ago when I was down there I saw a them staging two miniature snow plows and figured that at least the bike trail would probably be plowed and I was right although that left a couple inches of ice topped with compacted snow.. The parking area I use was a different story and it looked like only a few others had been there but I didn't have any problem. So I sort of waded the two hundred or so yards to the trail through 8 inch deep snow and was ever so grateful for my beach 'ski' pole and it's spiked tip.

I hit the edge of the park where it meets the river and was blown away with how beautiful it was. I swear, every 50 feet I would come around another bend and there would be a perfect postcard image of what a snowy, sunny, walk through the woods along a river and lake should be. One after the other with bright blue skies to go with it and more ducks and geese than I may have ever seen gathered in one place.

I couldn't get enough of it and went further than usual. I encountered a few hardy souls, some taking pictures, others riding bikes (on snow and ice!) and one intrepid angler was fly fishing. I ended up going about three miles on iffy terrain but it was so worth it.

If this is REAL winter...Bring it!

Oh yeah, I'm getting the hang of dressing, I wasn't cold at all.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: