Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

What a delightful idea for a thread. The one thing our society could use is some good, old-fashioned education...listening instead of talking.

I don't know much other than the basics that I learned in my World Religion courses my sophomore year of college. As MsMerrick said, it's one of the Big Three based on the patriarchy of Abraham.

I've read small bits and pieces of the Koran...like the Bible, a fascinating book if read from a scholarly perspective. There are many passages of peace and beauty, and also passages of antiquated beliefs and laws. Hell, the Bible has more violence and condoned murder and slavery than pretty much any other religious text in history.

Like you, AtLastHome, the manner in which the Islamic countries have come to treat women is difficult to swallow. But, my small experiences with the faith tell me that these attitudes are based largely on a fairly recent conservative shift that is based on fear (much like we're seeing here in the U.S. with the Conservative right-wingers).

One other thing I know - back in ancient times while 60% of Europe was dying in the Dark Ages because of their total lack of education, technology, and hygiene, the Islamic areas were thriving. They had the first universities that allowed women, they invented a checking system for making payments far from home using advanced banking methods, and they had a clean and very modern civilization. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way some men felt threatened and, with their interpretation of God and religion, took power and the civilization started changing into what we have now - some modern, forward-thinking folks and some stalwarts (just like here).

I hope we have a few actively practicing Muslims in the community that can enlighten us.

There is an Islamic center about a mile from my home. It's nearly invisible and fairly hidden (only natural here in the Bible belt of the South), but my Religion professor encouraged us to check it out. I am very tempted to contact them just so I can educate myself a little more about their culture, ideology, regular practices, etc. Why not? I wouldn't hesitate to walk into a church to learn, right?

Looking forward to more dialog and less fear!
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post: