Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am wondering about a couple of things...

One, what is the breakdown (if known) in the US in terms of more reformist or I guess moderate Muslims?

Also, it was mentioned that there are "feminist" Muslim mosques with followers. I am interested in the really how feminist this is - are they based upon an integration of any particular feminist theoretical base? And is there movement toward women taking position as holy people in the same way men are? Or, is this more about women having a place to pray without any re-interpretation of Muslim doctrine?

The other thing that is on my mind is the continuation of media coverage of the proposed community center and prayer room in NYC. My understanding that this is not really a mosque, yet today on "Meet the Press," discussion of this still being called the "Ground Zero Mosque" was the same. This was after several political programs throughout last week with Muslim guests pointed out that is a community center.

Lastly, I am wondering about US Muslims thoughts about the fact that after such statements from the likes of Newt Ginrich comparing this to "placing a swastika next to the Holocaust museum" have not brought outrage. One analyst on Zmeet the Press tonday brought this up in terms of how a statement like that pointed at any other minority would cause quite a stir and not just by those within the minority group. I think she is right. POC as well as whites had a hell of a lot to say about Dr. Laura's little rant last week!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: