How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,198 Times in 5,147 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

My mom is 80 years old and lives alone in her own home. However, she is fast approaching the time when she should not live alone due to her mental faculties; physically, she's in great shape. My sister is her primary caregiver, and sees her about twice a week and talks to her on the phone 2-3 times a day. She has my mom signed up for Amazon Prime auto-shipping for house staples, and she goes to the grocery store once a week and cleans out her refrigerator. My sister refills my mom's pill dispenser and delivers it to her weekly.

Unfortunately, my sister and BIL have caught Covid-19. Fortunately, my mom isn't exhibiting any symptoms. One of my sister's daughters and her husband live the basement of my sister's house; they have barricaded themselves in and are hoping not to catch it, but their proximity to my sister and BIL means that my niece isn't a good candidate to take over caring for my mom. There is another niece, who is 18 years old, and semi-responsible for someone her age. She can be relied upon to deliver my mom's medicine and probably do her grocery shopping, but cleaning out the refrigerator may be a bit beyond her. If an emergency were to happen I don't think she'd know what to do (and emergencies/small concerns happen all the time with my mom: the air unit is making a funny noise and the filters need to be changed, the water tank needs salt added, the neighbor's cats won't get off her lawn, a tree looks dead and like it's about to fall on the house (it isn't), some strange man and his sons come to the front door looking for yardwork. Due to mom's impending dementia, these same concerns happen repeatedly - because she doesn't remember that she's already told you about it once or 40 times before.

My sister has a lot on her back, and she has a job and health concerns of her own. I'd do more to help, but I live over 100 miles away, and I'm not in the best of health myself. I do not know what else I can do to help her or my mom. Now with both my sister and my BIL carrying the threat of Covid infection, there aren't many options for other people to help. There's my semi-reliable niece, as previously mentioned, and a couple of elderly aunts who could look in on my mom and possibly do some grocery shopping. But every new person who is introduced into my mom's vicinity is just another chance for her to be exposed to Covid.

I'm not sure what we're going to do. Please, please don't let there be any true emergencies. If I can get a negative Covid test, maybe I can move in with my mom until my sister and BIL get over this. I can _probably_ step up to the plate and take care of us, especially since my mom can do the physical stuff like walking to the mailbox. I can do the grocery shopping, especially since Kroger has the we'll-shop-for-you-and-you-pick-it-up service. Amazon delivers, even to her house in the middle of nowhere. There are no food or drug store delivery services, but I can still go to drive-thrus in the nearby town, and my mom can help me cook as long as I gently direct her and don't expect too much. The trick for me will be not letting her wear me down or getting as frustrated as she is. I will have to put off starting my chemo for another month or so, which will probably be okay. I'll call my oncologist tomorrow and find out. If it can't wait any longer, probably my semi-reliable niece can drive me to the appointment, and my mom can just be alone for that day.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince

Last edited by GeorgiaMa'am; 01-03-2021 at 11:07 AM. Reason: grammar
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post: