EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default The man who was born a girl

Read an awesome article in the Mirror today that told the story and experiences of a British transman. It was cool to see that the article just told it like he said and like it was instead of making assumptions, insults or falling into the usual stereotypes.

Quote:
The man who was born a girl
by Becky Dickinson, Daily Mirror 25/05/2011

As Jack Chapman walked into his old school for the first time since he’d left 20 years earlier, former pupils and teachers glanced over and then away again, not recognising him.

It’s to be expected at a reunion but Jack had changed more than most – when he’d been there as a teenager in the 80s he was a girl called Julie.

“We all had to collect name badges when we went in and of course mine said Julie on it,” he says. “People kept looking at me and asking each other who I was. Then someone came up to me and said: ‘Sorry, I think you’re in the wrong place’.

“We had to sit on long tables from the 1960s to 1990s,” Jack, now 40, says. “It was like being invisible. I could see and recognise people but they had no idea who I was.”

Most people assumed Jack had been in sixth form, as the all-girls’ school later took boys. “But they looked at the dates on my badge and saw that couldn’t have been the case,” he says.

Other people thought he must have been someone’s partner, but Jack explained he was once a girl.

Then he met his form teacher. “I pulled out an old school photo with the yellow wall background and said: ‘Look, here I am.’ She stared and said ‘That’s nice, dear’.”

But, as Jack looks at an old school photo of himself, even he has trouble recognising the 16-year-old in the picture. The eyes are still the same shade of green, but everything else has changed. The jaw is thicker, the hair has receded, the shoulders are muscular.

Looking at himself as a small child is even stranger – the long hair and delicate features are gone. He’s even had his ears pinned back.

In fact, it’s hard to believe he’s looking at the same person. That’s because Jack was born a girl and, for the first 30 years of his life, was Julie.

From as early as he remembers, Jack knew he was different. He says: “My parents used to put me in dresses but I never felt happy. I loved it when I got hand-me-downs from my older male cousins.”
More: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23154617/

Last edited by Linus; 05-25-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: cleaned up some of the extraneous hidden stuff
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: