JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hey everyone. I hope it's ok to ask this question but I was curious, for those who have kids, what did you do for winter celebration and how did you address the Santa for younger kids? K and I were discussing this and how we would address winter holidays, particularly with younger kids. (Although K is Atheist and I'm buddhist we both agreed that it would be fun and an important family time with the kids).
My family situation is so interesting for religious holidays. We live with my parents (who are Mormon) and my beliefs are not really... tolerated in the home. The compromise I have made is one of "don't ask, don't tell". I have an alter set up in my space but my mother just lets herself assume its an end table of knickknacks. I celebrate some of my traditions for holidays mixed in with theirs, and my children are taught that Christmas (or Yule, or Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or whatever someone calls the holiday) is about giving, and appreciating those around us and all they do for us. That it (and Santa) are more of a feeling. Santa is most assuredly real, and as long as long as there are people in the world who give of themselves with complete selflessness, he will never die. I also tell them that each of them can be a Santa to someone else. That Santa can't survive unless we all do a little bit of the work... Its part of Santa's Magic. Santa exists because of people who give like Santa would give.