theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Happy Birthday, Marines!!! OOOOO RAH!!!

Today marks the 242nd Birthday of the United States Marine Corps. On this day, every man and woman who has ever earned that precious Title with his/her blood, sweat and tears, shares a common birthday. It is a part of us, a piece of us that will never leave our hearts and souls.

We are a unique club. I have witnessed this nearly my entire adult life, in so many places, even those I did not expect. I found it in my 20 years working in the VA system, stretching across the generations, in the smiles and nods of other Marines who proudly sport caps, pins, shirts, jackets, bumper stickers.....nearly anything that proudly identifies us to others. I found it in firm handshakes and the quiet (and sometimes not so quiet!!) utterances of those precious two words, "Semper Fi", that Marines say to each other that bond us as one.

Today, we Marines celebrate our common birthday. It was on this day, back in 1775, that the Second Continental Congress authorized the raising of two battalions of Marines with these words:

"That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines."

So, happy 242nd birthday to my fellow Marines.

Here's this year's message from our Commandant, Gen. Robert B. Neller:

Semper Fidelis, always.

~Theo~