Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Okay, how's this?

It would be nice for Organic to be looking up local YMCAs online and broaching a possible Couple membership and for the first question out of my mouth to not be "Would they accept us?"

I'd like a world in which thoughts like that weren't the first to enter my noggin, or be there at all.
Christie and I had a conversation a couple months ago about this very thing. A popular fitness club based in Richmond had denied a lesbian couple a "family membership", which created a bit of a stir in the LGBT community.

Fortunately, not all of the health and fitness clubs are so close minded about a) what is a family or b) who deserves to be "healthy".

Here is a pretty nifty article about it:

http://www.gayrva.com/2010/08/03/ame...esbian-couple/

Not sure if the YWCA system is operated by different rules in different parts of the country, but at least in Richmond, we are family!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: