View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #404
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Kelt, great to have you in here. Besides likin' ya a whole lot, you are always so interesting and full of knowledge.

I only shower at the gym if I have gone swimming because I'm usually eager to clean my swim suit by wearing it in the shower and then to get the chlorine off my skin as well. Otherwise I wait until I get home because it's a much nicer experience.

I find people don't pay attention to each other in the locker room and shower if I don't make eye contact and give off a "busy" vibe. Or if I'm clearly wearing headphones that also helps. Of course, I'm not a butch so I can speak to that. I did once have a bad experience with a gym staff person in the locker room telling me to use the back of the locker room because I'm heavy. I immediately burst into tears and reported it. I haven't had other looks-related issues, and the showers at my gym are private (though they have sucky water pressure so I use home anyway.).

So, how long does it take you to do 9-10 miles and what do you do for those 9 to 10 miles? What does your exercise walking involve (what type)? Do you do other things along the way? Do you just listen to natural sounds? What time of day do you do it? Do you wear sun screen? Just interested to hear more.
It's hard to imagine someone being so cruel as to comment on another person's body. I'm really sorry that happened to you. Some people just don't understand that sometimes words can hurt more than blows, and they don't heal nearly as quickly.

Nobody actually confronted me. All I was doing was going in and walking through to have a look at the facilities. It was the stares and glares, nudging a friend and point me out kind of thing. Every. Single. Place. I will just have to get over myself, and do the usual pretend I don't notice anything. I'm hoping that if I go the same time on the same days that after a while it will just be regulars who will get used to seeing me around. The place with the best pool also noticed me the least, unfortunately it is 5X as expensive and the other amenities are not very nice. I will just have to see what happens when it is time to decide.

My game plan is that on gym days I will do both weights and swimming and on non-gym days I will continue at the beach for cardio. My current beach walk takes about three hours for the walking portion which I do with walking poles. Frequently I stay longer and socialize with people that I have met down there and will sometimes go for lunch with one of them afterwards. It really is my other home which is probably why I have been doing too much of that and not enough resistance and flexibility exercise.

Just a lot of new and different things to get used to. It will be hard for me to tear myself away from the beach on most days, but it will be a term length experiment and I really need to do it. It is still quite a ways off so I will have time to make the mental shift, I hope. I have a trip to take an early August and when I get back I will settle the details.

Thanks for the tip about the headphones, I don't usually use them when working out because I like to interact with people around me, but it might really help me out in the locker room.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: