How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,618 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
This freaks me out.

I won't be buying the frankenfish either.
Unfortunately you might not know. In approving the GE salmon, FDA determined it would not require labeling of the GE fish to let consumers know what they are buying, so a grocery store could be selling it or a restaurant could be serving it and would not have to disclose that information. Congress attached something to the 2016 omnibus spending bill that will allow states to require labeling so in time your state might require stores to tell you, but right now it's a secret.

What really worries me is how different these genetically altered salmon are from real salmon. They interact differently, they stay apart and they eat a lot more because of the added other fish DNA to stimulate growth. Also they are not good at fighting disease and are more susceptible to bacteria. If, or should I say when, they enter the wild they will cause much damage. This breach could occur where they will be grown in Panama or perhaps the eggs in PEI or in the US, but it is pretty much a guarantee that it will happen. They will enter the ocean at some point. It is just a bad idea all around. And it's not even necessary. There is no real idea what will be the result of this invasive species on wild salmon and the ocean.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: