Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
Okay. I'm woman enough to admit it: I've never taken care of my nails. I need help. I've done some research and I've found some videos on youtube (they've got EVERYTHING on that site!), but with the bevy of femmes on this site I figured I have access to my very own panel of experts.

Any advice for this poor ole country girl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
Yes, if you're a hardworking girl such as yourself it must be a challenge!

My number one problem is that my nails break at the slightest provocation. I'm sure I can improve that a little if I get the right products. They're healthy, just fragile.

Number two problem - and I'm currently trying to deal with this - is my cuticles. If I could sell them by the pound I'd be a rich woman. If only Madge were still around today! (if you're under 45 you probably won't "get" the Madge reference - that's for us "mature" women! )

1. I'm under 45 and I GOT your Madge reference so THERE! *sticks tongue out*

2. Get a cheap bottle of prenatal vitamins. Take half the recommended dose daily. For most brands, the recommended dose is 2 capsules, so only take one. If the usual dose is 1, cut it in half. Take daily for two reasons. One, you need a vitamin anyway, right? Two, the stuff that's good for making babies is good for strengthening and hardening nails. Oh, and your hair will be stronger too!

3. The e suggestion was great! If you run out of those, you can use a creamy, thick lotion every night before bed and rub some on your cuticles. If you can stand it, do the whole hand and then put a soft glove or sock on each hand. I, however, can't sleep with those things on. But some can.

4. Glass files are better than most for your nails, so you are onto something good there. However, HOW you file is as important as what you file with. One direction only is the recommended way. Honestly, I can't do that (I'm a side to side-r) but it is recommended since the sawing motion weakens nails and the bed.

5. Get a manicure. You don't have to do the polish if you don't want to. In my area, a simple mani runs about 10 American bucks. I don't do it all the time, but once I did start "regularly" (once every 8-9 weeks) getting a mani, I noticed my nails were stronger, especially the sides of the nails. The manicurist tends to file them properly, whereas I just do it any ole which way.

6. Use Sally Hansen nail products. They have a hardener that is great. Hard as Nails or something. You can't go wrong with Sally Hansen, though, if the products are available to you waaaay up there.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: