ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

This is after all Michelle Alexander has done with new Jim Crow laws, does the government think that lowering the penalty on drug laws will curb the Jim Crow society we are living in?

Actually, that attempt to stem the tide of arrests for drugs is in the service of the Privileged society...we are bleeding money in the jails. It is not to look at the new Jim Crow laws and say hmmm racism is alive, well, institutionalized.

This verdict is akin to saying it is ok to continue to lynch. The disgust is palpable but the reality of what is being sanctioned by our legal system, our political system, the continued denial of our right to free speech and protest ( kids know now they can protest if they get permits and stay with in free speech zones) is chilling. It is subverting our constitutional rights. I think in another post on racism and privilege I did admit that I do not raise my voice as I used to when I was a youth...) I think that our system and maybe the internet's lull into our thinking we take action when we sign a moveon or change.org petition is enough has co-opted our ideas of what a "voice" is anymore. Ironic, isn't it that those in what we think are "repressed" societies like the Middle East and Russia have youth that express themselves in ways our youth used to: Arab Spring and Pussy Riot. When I was watching Pussy Riot on Colbert I said to myself "wow, we no longer have movements and protesters that will put themselves, their values and beliefs on the line anymore." I think we all need to wonder how we went from Black Panthers, SDS, King, Stonewall, etc to NOTHING. Even when we did protest Trayvon, are controlled by what the media will expose America to. Really, I love them, but Pussy Riot gets more press in US then white men controlling our reproductive rights or killing our youth. Sad

Where do we have a voice? How do we express that voice, will our voices be heard...one verdict after another giving rise to Jim Crow and with all the rationalizations that were present when Jim Crow was instituted.
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ProfPacker For This Useful Post: